A new report titled “EU Cycling Economy” estimates that cycling in the European Union (EU) creates €513 billion annually. The report looks at a number of areas where cycling benefits society across the 28 EU member states including health benefits, social, environmental, economic and other advantages.
Benefits to the EU Economy include:
- €111 billion due to shopping by bicycle
- €10 billion due to reduced carbon emissions
- €44 billion due to cycling tourism
- €6.6 billion due to reduced traffic congestion
- €4.5 billion due to reduced absenteeism
- €20 billion due to kids leading healthier lifestyles
- €2.8 billion due to energy cost savings
This list is not exhaustive & the report goes into further detail in a number of key areas that benefits all European Union countries as a whole including Ireland. For Ireland to take advantage of these benefits, we do need to as a society invest more in developing cycling as a viable transport option.
Download the report: EU Cycling Economy
For detailed information on the benefits to the EU economy, click here to download the EU Cycling Economy report.